Man as Male and Female
Why did God create two genders? Can men and women be equal
and yet have different roles?
- We are made in God’s image. – Genesis 1:27
- Harmonious interpersonal relationships
- Two become one – Genesis 2:24
- God has joined them together – Matthew 19:6
- Shared body – 1 Corinthians 7:3-5
- Love your spouse as your own body – Ephesians 5:28
- Lifelong commitment – Romans 7:2, Malachi 2:14-16
- Represents Christ and the church – Ephesians 5:23-32
- Represents the Trinity
- Equality in personhood and importance
- Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion. – Proverbs 11:22
- Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. – Proverbs 31:30
- Difference in role and authority
- The Trinity has different roles and so do we. Equally important.
- Application to marriage
- Error of Aggressiveness
- Errors of passivity
- If you are being honest about your feelings, do you think it is better to be a man or a woman?
- How do you think God wants you to feel about that question?
- How does the teaching of this chapter on differences in roles between men and women compare with some of the attitudes expressed in society today?
- Even apart from marriage or romantic involvement, do you think God intends us to enjoy times of fellowship with mixed groups of other Christian men and women?
- Why do you think God puts in our heart the desire to enjoy such fellowship?
- Does this help you understand how it is important that unmarried people be included fully in the activities of the church?