Resurrection and Ascension
What was Christ’s resurrection body like? What is the significance for us?
What happened to Christ when he ascended into heaven?
- Three days after Jesus died, he came back to life and stayed on earth for 40 days. After this, Jesus ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of God.
- The Gospels contain abundant testimony to the resurrection of Christ.
- Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20-21
- Christ’s resurrection was not simply a coming back from the dead, as had been experienced by others before, such as lazarus (John 11:1-44).
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:20-23
- Jesus was the “first fruits of a new kind of human life, a life in which his body was made perfect, no longer subject to weakness, aging, or death, but able to live eternally. (1 Corinthians 15:53).
- Jesus had a physical body that could be touched and handled after the resurrection. (Matthew 28:9)
- Christ’s resurrection insures our regeneration
- Regeneration means to regrow or be renewed.
- Read Romans 6:4,11
- We have power to gain more and more victory over remaining sin
- We have power for ministry in the work of the kingdom
- Christ’s resurrection insures our justification
- As in, righteousness-ifieid!
- By raising Christ from the dead, God the Father was in effect saying that he approved of Christ’s work of suffering and dying for our sins, that his work was completed, and that Christ no longer had any need to remain dead.
- If God “raised us up with him” (Eph. 2:6), then by virtue of our union with Christ, God’s declaration of approval of Christ is also his declaration of approval of us,
- Christ’s resurrection insures that we will receive perfect resurrection bodies
- We will have new bodies like Christ
- Everything we do has eternal significance
- Ethical significance of the resurrection
- Everything we do has eternal significance – 1 Corinthians 15:58
- If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. – Colossians 3:1-4
- Christ ascended to a place (Acts 1:3, Luke 24:50-51)
- Christ’s going up into heaven foreshadows our future ascension into heaven with Him – 1 Thessalonians 4:17, John 14:2-3
- Can you think of some characteristics of the resurrection body that you are looking forward to?
- How does the thought of having such a body make you feel?
- When you were born again, you received new spiritual life within. If you think of this new spiritual life as part of the resurrection power of Christ working within you, how does that give you encouragement in living the Christian life and in ministering to people’s needs?
- The Bible says that you are now seated with Christ in the heavenly places (Eph. 2:6). As you meditate on this fact, how will it affect your prayer life and your engaging in spiritual warfare against demonic forces?