What is sin? Where did it all come from?
Do we inherit a sinful nature from Adam?
- Sin is any failure to conform to the moral law of God in act, attitude, or nature.
- Sin includes not only individual acts such as stealing or lying but also wrong attitudes that are contrary to the attitudes God requires of us.
- Sin should not be approved. It is the opposite of all that is good in the universe.
- The origin of sin
- Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden – Genesis 3
- Inherited Guilt: We are counted guilty because of Adam’s sin – Romans 5:12
- Inherited Corruption: We have a sinful nature because of Adam’s sin – Psalm 51:5, 58:3
- All people are sinful – Psalm 14:3, Proverbs 20:9, Romans 3:9-10, 3:23
- 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. – 1 John 1:8-10
- Are there degrees of sin?
- Legal guilt with God – James 2:10-11
- Hurts in life and in relationship with God
- What happens when a Christian sins?
- Our legal standing before God is unchanged. – Romans 8:1
- Our fellowship with God is disrupted and our Christian life is damaged – John 14:5
- Matthew 7:21-23 should scare us all. A pattern of sin is a scary thing.
- The punishment of sin.
- Without the punishment of sin, there would be no ultimate justice for the universe.
- Are you aware of sins you are currently struggling with in your own life?
- How can the biblical teaching of degrees of seriousness of sin help your Christian life at this point?
- Have you known a sense of God’s “fatherly displeasure” when you have sinned?
- What should your response be to that?
- Have Christians today lost sight of the hatefulness of sin?
- Have unbelievers?
- What should we do about this for Christians?
- What should we do about this for unbelievers?